Alright, alright!!

cos-mo-post-al-an [koz-muh-postal-en]: adjective/noun
1. a person
who belongs to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world; can make their home anywhere in the world.
2. a person who believes fully that postage stamps and mail connect the world, regardless of where, from or to, they go.
3. the joyful experience of knowing you're a local because your mail made it to its destination
.


The postage stamp is truly wonderful. It can travel the world, experience the lives of a million different people, go through the doors of strangers; and never once lose sight of where it's headed.
Welcome to the land of cosmopostalan : travel, mail and words. It's a crazy little place in my corner of the woods; wherever that may be!

Friday, June 8, 2012

A Trip to the Typewriters

I had one major goal today, and that was to get my little Olivetti to his appointment.
After finding my dear Olivetti almost one year ago, I've been meaning to take him to someone for a while, just to get him re-ribboned, cleaned up and have his carriage fixed. It is hard to make time to do such a thing, especially when establishments that can do such things are few and far between.
Luckily, the wonderful Cambridge Typewriter Company is only a mere 27 minutes from my current location, so today--Olivetti and I scheduled his appointment for matinence. I'm so excited.


It's a pretty terrific establishment at that, too. When I walked in, I was instantly hit with that fresh whack-in-the-face "oldtime" smell that generally accompanies ancient books, storage closets, or--and in this case--musty typewriters. It was fantastic! The owner and wonderful repairman, Tom, was able to inform me of the carriage issues and the need for a tune-up and new ribbon within three minutes, and promised me a "look new" typewriter for when I return in two weeks time.

His shop was gorgeous, and he let me take a few pictures, which I would love to share with you now.


Got to love the fact that this typewriter promised "noiseless"ness.



A children's typewriter! "Tom Thumb"'s were generally bought by parents, Tom informed me, to help their children learn how to use a typewriter, and type, from a young age.


Cherry. Red. Olympia. What else do I need to say?



Who doesn't love a Remington? Honestly?



These beautiful, multicoloured keys of the "teaching typewriter" made my heart melt. I love it so much! The owner is one lucky person indeed!

When I get my Olivetti back, I will be sure to post some pictures...as well as type a few letters and send them out in my excitement!

To ribbons and carriages--
             ~ Ms. Always Traveling


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely postal ponderings!
May today be a beautiful, full-of-mail kind-of day!
~ Ms. Always Traveling