Alright, alright!!

cos-mo-post-al-an [koz-muh-postal-en]: adjective/noun
1. a person
who belongs to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world; can make their home anywhere in the world.
2. a person who believes fully that postage stamps and mail connect the world, regardless of where, from or to, they go.
3. the joyful experience of knowing you're a local because your mail made it to its destination
.


The postage stamp is truly wonderful. It can travel the world, experience the lives of a million different people, go through the doors of strangers; and never once lose sight of where it's headed.
Welcome to the land of cosmopostalan : travel, mail and words. It's a crazy little place in my corner of the woods; wherever that may be!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's Springtime...

It's Springtime...


While I'm not really the biggest fan of Massachusetts or the "New England Mentality", I do have to say that Massachusetts' spring is pretty a-okay. For the first time in months, I can hear birds chirping and singing, yelling at me to get off the front step and clamber through the trees with them. For the first time in months, the sun in shining on grass -- not snow; not dew-covered greenery; not leaveless trees...grass. For the first time in months, I can hear kids playing out on the street and see cars driving past with their windows down.
Unfortunately, unchanging for months -- people are still not managing to smile.

Now seriously -- what could it be?! The weather is too legit to quit, good food is on it's way to being in season, and every day is closer to summer.

I don't get it.

It's probably because they aren't getting enough mail.

I wouldn't blame them -- a day without good mail is like a day without sunshine; grey, moderately chilly, and always leaving you wanting more. But...they have the weather now so...all they need is the mail.

Even though it's "a dying art" (similar to the Latin language, "It's a dying language"; or skinny jeans, "They're a dying trend"; or guacamole facial washes, "They never were a trend...?"), mail brings so much joy to everyone. Especially if it's GOOD mail -- personal letters, travel postcards, thank you notes, "I'm thinking of you" messages.
My bet is that people here just don't get enough of them.

So what can we do to fix that? I've (and continue to) spoken to strangers whilst walking around the town pond, I've said my please and thank you's, I've smiled when the bumbling grocery bagger misplaced my Coffemate (now that stuff is legit). I wish they could do the same!!

But today, my call is for something a little different. (I'm hoping these people will thaw as summer approaches, and the sunshine will bring them a little bit of inspiration and compassion.) With the beginning of spring--and summer fast approaching--, I'm calling for correspondence!

Today, I propose that you write a letter to someone who means a lot to you, someone who impacts your life in a small way, a big way, or in a way that they aren't even aware of. Write a letter to your brother, your neighbour, the deli assistant, that girl that always smiles to you in the hallway. Write to someone who makes a positive impact on your life; and tell them just that.


There is nothing like being appreciated.

In this technological age, the written word is hard to find. Times New Roman replaces handwriting, Inboxes replaces mailboxes, and racing towards nothing replaces being in the now. You never know what someone is going through--what they have experienced--what they are dealing with--what they have discovered--until you ask them, or extend an ear (or a hand) to listen to (or to read) what they have to say (or write). And what better way to get started than with a letter in the mail?

Here, I'll help you get started:

"Dear stranger,
I just wanted to let you know..."

Send mail -- send love,
                                    ~ Ms. Always Traveling


P.S. I'd love to hear if you did just that! Comment below and let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely postal ponderings!
May today be a beautiful, full-of-mail kind-of day!
~ Ms. Always Traveling